Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hair to Stay



Introducing Brenda White, who has always had an interest in performing, and from a young age took part in school productions and performances. Brenda’s interest in drama and performing has taken her in many directions since studying a B-Tec National Diploma in Performing Arts in 1994.

Her career experiences range from acting roles, coordinating events, to working with young people, and directing plays for the stage. Brenda has an imaginative mind, and enjoys creating new ideas, using drama or literature. One of Brenda’s future goals is to produce a play or film about the lives of first generation British Caribbean people growing up in England, and how unique an experience that was.

Hair to Stay

I could think of so many hair stories. It’s been really hard knowing which story to share. I could tell you about the stories of having my hair washed as a child, and how much I hated it, or even the dreaded anticipation I had when my mum would practically rake the comb through my hair that was left uncombed for days.

Yes… I have had my ups and downs with my hair just like everyone else. I have tried various styles and textures over the years from cornrows and braiding to relaxing.

Relaxing required regular maintenance, and is not surprising when you think of the chemical contents. At least once a month I would go to the hairdressers for a steam and maybe have the ends clipped to stop split ends. This would set me back at least fifty pounds.

I would spend a fortune to look beautiful and groomed, especially when it came to my hair. My hair did look good, but there was no way I could keep this up forever. I wondered what my hair would look like if I stopped relaxing it. ‘You will have to cut it out gradually or it will break’, my hairdresser advised me.

Eleven years ago while pregnant, I made the decision that I wanted my hair natural, maybe even locks. My influence had come from an understanding of myself and my culture. This included music influences, for example, Bob Marley, Burning Spear, and my visits to the Caribbean.

I was now thirty five and I wanted a new look. Then it dawned on me that my hair was part of my uniqueness. My new look would now represent me and my heritage. I concluded that my hair was my connection to my people. Anywhere in the world I saw people with hair like mine, I knew that they were connected to me and the African Diaspora.

Africans are the only race with tightly curled hair. I read that it is like this to keep us cool in the hot sun of the African continent. To me, it helps us to stand out as a nation. We may be some of the most deprived people in the world, but our presence can never be denied.

It took me years to come to my decision and I am glad that I did. I am proud of my blackness and I wear my hair in many beautiful natural styles, mainly afro; a style that stood for liberation for black people back in the seventies. I wear my hair with pride and as a continuation of one of the physical traits of my people.

No comments: