Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hear My Lifetime Hair Journey


Introducing Lavern Buchanan-Sy, (pictured above with her daughter Zeyna) a mother of three (a son and two daughters) whom she views as her greatest achievement. Lavern was born in Clapham and grew up in Croydon. She studied sociology at Greenwich University and completed a Careers Guidance postgraduate qualification at University of East London. Lavern works as an Aspire Project Officer/Life Long Learning Co-ordinator in a London F.E College.

Hear My Lifetime Hair Journey

Born with a head free of chemicals, combs and conditioners, my hair naturally curled into a beautiful black shiny covering. It soon became pomades, hot combs warmed by the paraffin heater to remove all trace of its natural naturalness. My mother wanted a style that would curb an unruly mess. I would endure the burnt ears to have a creation that I could comb and flick through, much like my blond and brunette peers, fear of rain and water entering my recreational swim ruining its slick condition.

Then like the sunrise, the 70’s arrived and a woman across the Atlantic revolutionised mine and so many sisters’ crown and glory to create another story. We walked with pride as our hot combs were binned and replaced with combs of red green and black plastic and metal teeth, wooden crafted creations’ artistry that remained a lasting legacy of freedom and liberation. My awakening journey truly began. “Thank you “Angela.

Bonding with my sister sibling, a natural born stylist, beautiful adornments of rows of plaits, sometimes braided or lengthened with extensions of synthetic that looked like my own and lasting for months, would be removed as it started to take a journey of its own.

I loved the attention received of gasping admiration for these unique and expressive twists. Travelling to Africa’s continent in Senegal, the plaits were developed further into the crème de la crème of my hair expression; microscopic detail with shell beads, coins to add the final touch - truly an African queen connected to a family left unintentionally hundreds of years ago. Welcome home child.

My daughters arriving showed me some new and original styles of their own. The scissors intercepted throughout this journey at significant times. Sitting in a barber’s chair I would receive from my opposite gender a quizzical and discomforting stare; what was my sister doing in here?

My shaven head the final result would then be coloured in coppers and reds and the comb replaced with a soft brush - complete ease and ready to please. Hairdressers completely redundant with me, why no perm, no tongs, no weave No, No, No……..

Here we are now, my hair locked in a style deemed wayward, condemned, scorned and even criminalised in an island that waves its flag of Yellow, Green and Black. Oh their wearer’s received such hatred and flack.

These beautiful knots completely freed me of combs and are replaced with fingers that manoeuvre every single strand within a god blessed locktitians hand. My shaved coloured head of five years ago now sits on my shoulder, carrying with it my stories of life changes, none more significant than the loss of the man, my father that assisted in my creation but also the glory of seeing my eldest and only son’s graduation.

My adornment now covers the aids that assist my diminished hearing; vanity. Practicality or pride, my hair and its life journey continues with ultimate love and growth within and outside.

No comments: